Monday, August 10, 2009

Saturday Night Steak Dinner

So in the last post I promised that I would share the the yummy steak dinner J. and I had last Saturday. I was so caught up with the new food processor and the mixed berry pie we had for dessert I couldn't fit in our at home Ruth's Chris experience...it's well worth the wait, enjoy!

First off we had baked potatoes:
2 Russet potatoes stuck with a fork a couple of times all over. Rubbed with vegetable oil and sprinkled with salt. Baked in a 350 degree F oven for an hour. I stuck these in the oven as I was finishing baking the pie (since the oven was on anyway) but you can easily just microwave
the potatoes for about 10 minutes.

And of course the main event...the steak:

My technique for making steak co
uldn’t be easier or quicker. I start with a thick cut piece of steak (1 1/2 inch to 2 inch), with or without a bone (your call…whatever’s on sale, that’s what I do). I prefer using a steak from the rib, short-loin, or sirloin (rib-eye, porterhouse, filet) something like that…I don’t use cuts from the flank or round (flank steak, skirt steak) for this particular method. Let me add that I look for grass-fed beef when I can, it’s more expensive (boo) but the taste is beefier and especially delicious (woowhoo). Let the steak get to room temperature (set out on the counter for 20 minutes should do it), meanwhile get a plate and load it up with about 2-3 tablespoons of kosher salt and about 2 tablespoons of freshly cracked pepper, depending on the size of steak(s). Heat a heavy ovenproof skillet (I suggest using a heavy duty cast iron skillet) on medium-high heat, you want it hot so when the steak hits the pan it sears. Now, make sure the steak is nice and dry by patting it with a few paper towels then brush one side of the steak with vegetable oil, flip the oiled side of the steak onto the salt and peppered plate using a pair of tongs, repeat the process with the second side. When the skillet is smoking use the tongs to carefully place the steak in the skillet.
Leave the steak to cook for 2 minutes (no peeking, you want the steak to sear) repeat with the second side. After the second side has cooked for 2 minutes carefully move the skillet to a 350 degree F oven. After 5 minutes check the meat with an instant read thermometer, when it reads 160 degrees F (medium), you're ready to take the steak out of the oven. Before serving the steak, make sure it rests for at least 5 minutes so the juices can redistribute!

I love caramelized onions and mushrooms along side my steak:

I start with one medium sized yellow onion cut into rings about a 1/2 inch thick. I saute those in 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat until
they are soft and start turning a golden color, about 10 minutes. Add another tablespoon of butter, three cloves of chopped garlic, and 1 1/2 teaspoons of fresh thyme. Stir and continue cooking for another minute (until the garlic gets fragrant), then add two cups of sliced button mushrooms, 1 1/2 teaspoons of kosher salt and pepper. Cook for an additional 5 minutes stirring occasionally.

Where's the sour cream?
I'm not fond of sour cream (actually I am but I try to stick with low saturated fat foods...that's just a way I lie to myself...don't judge, we all do it!) but when I have a baked potato I have to give in. But wait! I have a trick...plain fat free Greek yogurt! I love the stuff (and that's not a lie!) It's a delicious blank canvas that can be dressed-up into something savory or sweet, it's thicker than regular yogurt and can be a perfect substitute for sour cream! In this case I added a tablespoon or so of chopped chives, a teaspoon of kosher salt and a pinch of pepper to 3/4 cup plain fat free Greek yogurt. Top a baked potato with that and you'll be saying "sour cream, what's that!"

No comments:

Post a Comment