Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Finally...I've seen "Julie and Julia!"



It's taken weeks but I've finally seen the ultimate foodie movie "Julie and Julia" inspired by two true stories, the magnificent Julia Child and the inspiring writer Julie Powell. I know this movie is old news to just about anyone with an ounce of food savvy, but I just wanted to mention it because I really, really enjoyed it!

I read a number of Julie and Julia articles from a number of different media sources (NY Times, USA Today, LA Times) but one really stood out to me. Laura Shapiro from Gourmet magazine wrote a very interesting article about the movie, well mostly about the real life characters the movie portrays. I agree with Laura's assessment of Julie Powell and her praise of Julia Child.

Since I'm a child of the 80's, I missed personally seeing Julia Child in action on televised cooking shows. However, since I love food, cooking, and absorbing all the information I can on both subjects, I know the effect she has had in the kitchens of America (and the world for that matter). I think Laura hit the nail on the head when she described her experience in the theater as "[sitting] there in the movie theater beaming like a lunatic during approximately half the film" because I myself did the same thing. Julia's story is so motivating and lovely, you can't help but get swept up into her love for food and her perseverance...it's stunning! On the other-hand the second part of the film contained Julie Powell's story, which is incouraging to see beacuse a blogger was fortunate enough to make it big, but it was lacking passion. I would think that Julie would want to cook her way through "Mastering" because she LOVES it not because she feels obligated to do it, and on top of that she complains and throws fits if things don't come out right. I think that's what cooking is all about...we learn from our mistakes, nobody is perfect on the first try...even Julia!

All in all...I really enjoyed the Paris and Julia parts in the movie and I anticipate I'll be posting a boeuf bourguignon kitchen trial very shortly! Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment